Sunday, December 19, 2010

Wise Men

I guess I'm having my little Advent here. I was preparing to publish First Impressions Part 2 when I realized that my heart wasn't in it: it's so close to Christmas, I simply can't leave my Crèche.

I love the wise men. I understand they were the scientists of their day, men of letters, astrologers, astronomers and probably alchemysts all wrapped into one.

Somehow, without an Old Testament as their guide, they recognized the Star in the East and understood what it meant. It presupposes they knew the constellations well enough from years of study and that they had the wisdom to interpret the meaning of what they saw. It's a mystery to me. Since wisdom, the one from above, points us to Christ, it is not a stretch to say God gave them this wisdom. I love it. They didn't go to church with us yet they knew. They knew before most of Israel did.

I am so grateful that God can and does use the most unusual people and circumstances to reveal His will and to advise us, to show us the way... Truly, "the Earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world and they that dwell therein." Psalm 24:1

No comments:

Post a Comment