Thursday, March 27, 2014

Immediacy...


Several posts ago, I introduced faith and wrote that I wanted to explore the subject with you here.  

I have not forgotten but I must confess, I blow with the wind so to speak, at least I hope I do, trusting that the subjects and facets of God's ways that capture my heart at the moment are meant to be shared. 

However looking back I see that all the subjects I have touched on since - to wit (I have always wanted to use that phrase and it fits here, so thank you for humoring me) to wit: the Light of God, Confessing our sin without ending in shame, Heeding and Listening for God - all these subjects are precursors to faith - though not an exhaustive list by any means. 

And to finish this non-exhaustive list, I would like to touch on one more: Immediacy.

When Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, both sisters bemoaned the fact he hadn't been there to prevent the death. We know from scripture He delayed on purpose, they didn't. When he asked them, do you believe I can raise your brother from the dead they said, yes, at the last day and He answered no, NOW. Immediacy. 

I believe it's an important element of faith. Faith, like hearing, works in the now. Yes, with this world's track record, immediacy can seem scary, it feels much safer to defer and 'think about it'. I often think that is why the Old Testament often encourages us to 'be of a good courage' and the New Testament often encourages us to 'fear not' but says instead "peace be with you". 
Immediacy: the difference between and photo and being there. 

What I am talking about here is immediacy with God, in our hearts, no one needs to know in the moment that you are with God. God's body language in communicating with us is that of a Lamb (unthreatening), who died a horrible death, nailed to a cross in our place and for our sakes. His character, His constancy, His goodness fill the pages of the Bible. God is love and worthy of our trust. Immediacy begins in the secret place, in our hearts with God. 

"So my very dear friends, don't get thrown off course. Every desirable and beneficial gift comes from heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light.There is nothing deceitful in God nothing two-faced, nothing fickle. He brought us to life using the true Word, showing us off as the crown of all his creatures."

James 1:16-18 from The Message





No comments:

Post a Comment